Incredible. Thank you so much <3
Norman's Sky is now open source!
After 5 years since I've originally made Norman's Sky and after numerous people asked me if they can look at the code, I open sourced it! I finally had some time to improve the code and fix bugs that originally existed in the 10 hour version.
You can find the repository here and more details here: https://github.com/nothke/normans-sky
The code in the repo has a few fixes that are different than the build that is currently available on the itch page, namely:
- This repo is a "fixed" version, with a lot of 10-hour shenanigans refactored
- Endless universe creation fixed (in the original it was actually broken!)
- Master branch has been updated to Unity 2019 LTS
- Spacecraft feel is slightly different due to the refactorings of Motion.cs
- Planets now have different radii
- Stars now have different colors depending on the temperature
Besides this, the repo also contains some unfinished prototypes, like a version with a complex instrument panel, and a version with reworked artsyle and walking, both of which are incomplete. Since it's a question if I'll ever go back to continue Norman's Sky, I'm giving out all this code for you to do whatever you wish with it!
I will soon upload a new build to itch based on the fixes I made while making the repo. Till then, enjoy reading and poking at the code!